healthy spelt banana nut muffins

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

I've been on a bit of a baking kick over the past two weeks, likely for two reasons: 1. I'm pregnant and want baked goods 2. My past is coming back to me (I was once told by a psychic that I was a baker in a former life, so this reason is making total sense to me!).

Anyway, I had some gross looking black bananas in the freezer, so I put them to good use in some banana muffins.

I like pretty healthy baked goods, so I typed "healthy banana muffins" into Google and this is what I found: Healthy Banana Muffins by DDHMAMA on Spark Recipes. I changed it up a bit. Here's what I did:



Minutes to Prepare: about 15
Minutes to Cook: 20 (my oven is a bit cooler than most)
Number of Servings: I got 12 out of this but DDHMAMA got 20 somehow

Ingredients:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- about 1/8 a cup of agave nectar (I basically squiggled it around the bowl)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash or two of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400

Directions:
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl: spelt flour, baking soda and powder, salt, nuts, spices, ground flax
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Whisk in milk, applesauce, agave nectar, and vanilla to the eggs.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold bananas in.
- Divide the batter among a greased or paper-lined muffin tin. I used a flowery, silicone Pampered Chef pan which I have to say I really love.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Yield:
- Makes 12 muffins


Review
I could have added more agave nectar (these turned out a bit on the slightly blandish side which is fine by me because I can sweeten them up with some apple butter ;)) and the recipe called for molasses which I totally forgot to add. I also think I could have added one more mushy banana. Overall, they're good for me, pretty healthy and I don't feel bad about giving them to the little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground