rolled hem jean shorts refashion

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'm not sure about you, but I'm one of those people that keeps clothes for a long time. If they fit well and are in good shape, why not? I get this from my grandmother.* It's not uncommon to comment on a shirt of hers only to find out that it's at least seven years old.

Enter these jeans.


They have been in my drawer, no joke, since at least 2002 (I think!? Come to think of it, I've had this black T-shirt for likely just as long). I remember wearing them when I worked in Aurora north of Toronto and I ripped the bottoms on one of those big black and neon metal lawn signs. I was so sad because I really liked these jeans at the time. Anyway, that's why in this picture they're capris, because I cut away the hole.

Cut back to 2013 and I'm in desperate need of shorts. Unfortunately (fortunately??), when one is breastfeeding, some people including me, tend to lose their bum. None of my regular shorts fit me properly and for some reason these jeans still fit pretty well in the tush area.

Today at nap time, I broke out my trusty fabric marker to mark off where I wanted to cut them... and yes I'm well aware it looks like a yellow tampon.


I decided to go right above the knee. I wasn't graced with model stick thighs, so these will be longer in length.



Not bad. I was going to leave them like this, but then I decided to do a little rolling.


I stitched the ends of the rolls and a few places in the middle so they'd stay put when I was chasing after my crazy kids.

There we go! Pretty comfy!
______

*I couldn't mention my grandmother without saying that my family was shocked and saddened to find out that my grandmother has advanced ovarian cancer. My grandmother is one of the most fit 86-year-olds I know (and more fit than many people younger than her) which is one of the reasons why it's a shock. Apparently she's had it for years, but finally pushed it's limits on her body a few weeks ago. She's been in the hospital for a couple weeks and isn't expected to leave. I'm devastated that she's leaving us, but thankful I was able to spend some time with her while visiting home last week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Yes! This is just what I needed to read. I've been on the hunt for a good pair of jean shorts but nothing fits right -- they are too short or two long. I have a bunch of jeans in my closet that I don't wear but could be great shorts. I'm getting out my scissors tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground