Toddler leggings to headband

Monday, January 20, 2014


If you have a late walker (or even if you don't!) you might have some really cute leggings with dirt stains all over the knees. I have a few of them. I hate throwing stuff out like this, so I was trying to figure out what I could do with this pile of leggings I have hanging around.

Then I saw Mila's hair flopping in front of her eyes yet again and the thought came to me: headbands! 

Here's what I did (and get this - I didn't even look on Pinterest once to do this!)

Cut the pants into pieces.


This particular pair of pants had little bows on the bottom so I had to remove those first with a seam ripper. Once that was done, I cut the pants in two down the middle and the cut the hems off. I also cut along the sides to even out the pieces to make it easier to sew.

Stitch them up.


Once that was done, I laid the pieces out flat and stitched them together end-to-end. Fold the new piece length-wise and stitch it together right sides facing together. Turn the whole thing right-side out, flatten and then fold it over again making sure the sewn seam is in the middle of the band (above far right). Stitch the end. 

We have a headband! 

Since I had those two little bows, I decided to use them to cover up the seams. I wrapped them around the seams and hand-sewed them together at the back. You can also do this with some extra fabric if you have it.

Voila!


Now the next test was to get it on Mila to model it long enough to take a picture. Success (for 10 seconds!)



I'm determined to get her to wear it for longer. We'll see about that. This kid seems to love having hair in her eyes I think.

PS- I'm not very good at following directions, thus I'm not too hot at giving them either. I apologize if you try this out and something doesn't make sense but if you sew it should be pretty straight forward. If not, ask any questions you have in the comments and I'll do my best to answer!

4 comments:

  1. I just can't get enough of this girl's expressions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohMyGosh! the many faces on this little gal are awesome!!! and, i love this idea! what a great way to re-use something! have a wonderful weekend!
    xo, mama lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so cute! I remember my youngest went through a headband phase around that age - had a headband on around the clock for months! This project would have added some choices to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD SHE IS A PERFECT MUNCHKIN!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground