Interview with | Nataal Colalillo

Wednesday, June 03, 2015



June's interview is with Nataal Colalillo of Nataal Colalillo Photography & Design. I know Nataal through my sister-in-law (there are a couple of those on here!) and like the others, Nataal is an amazing, super-talented woman. She is gifted in the art of photography and graphic design and two years ago she chased my family around taking photos for our first family portrait with Mila. I remember thinking it was a bit of a gong show with the kids. Mila was showing her true colours and never sat still and Leo was running around signing and throwing stones. We got the photo proofs and I was pleased to see how calm we all looked. How did she get these shots in all the craziness?

We're going to be setting up some time for another shoot with her this year and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us.

Read more about Nataal below.



Tell me about Nataal Colalillo. What do you love to do, hate to do, wish you could do?

An artist at heart. A wife and mom to the cutest five and a half year old little dude. He's my muse, my greatest project yet. I work from home as a graphic designer and a lifestyle family photographer. Design was my first love, photography is my passion. My focus for family love and capturing these precious moments is so important to me, more so now than ever. Last October I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, you know the good cancer. It's been an emotional roller coaster ride to say the least. I am done my treatments this month and everything has been very successful. I am lucky. I am truly blessed.

I love to cook. It relaxes me.

I love yoga and getting to the gym. Working from home can sometimes make you a little squirely. So getting out of the house is a necessity for your body and mind!

I love spending time with friends, eating out, cozy evenings with the hubby watching movies. Playing with my son.

What I hate to do? Clean, keep a house. I warned my husband before we married I was not domestic. Thankfully I charmed him with my cooking skills.

I wish to travel more, to take our son and see the world. Wander cities. Explore.

I wish I had the gift to gab.



Tell me about your business. Why and when did you choose to start your own business? What came first? Photography or graphic design?

I decided to start my business after having my son. I love what I do, I wanted a flexibility to be there for my son.

Design came first. I studied at Sheridan for graphic design. Yet, I've always had a camera in my hand. My mom bought me my first Canon for my 16th birthday. I just loved looking through that lens and creating. It was magical. Friends and family we always asking me to takes photos of their families and even got asked to photograph a few weddings. But for some reason never pursued photography until recently. It was always a side hobby.

My photography business focuses on family love, the emotional connections between parents and  their children, kids and maternity.



What are your favourite photos to take?

Ones I would love to see hanging on my walls. Giggles and cuddles, loving and smooching! Natural connections with a dollop of fun. Perfectly imperfect.

What projects do you like to work on best?

Lately it's been assembling my son's 3rd, 4th and 5th year photo albums. I hope to provide more custom boutique items to my clients like this.

What are your passions outside of your business?

Interior design, more recently gardening.



What do you love about where you live? 

Oh gosh, there is so much! Stratford is insanely beautiful, most days I can't believe I live in such an lovely place. It has a small town feel with edge. We have AH-mazing restaurants and shops. The Avon river is a gem, take a walk around that any day and you'll decompress and feel at peace. And of course the Stratford Festival, a celebration of theatre. We've landed in a nice little hood with great friends. There are days I do miss Ancaster, our friends and family, but thankfully we are not too far for visits.

Favourite snack? 

Today? Baba ghanuosh and pita.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? 

Back to Florence.


Thanks so much Nataal! For more information about Nataal, please see her websites below!


LIFESTYLE FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHY:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground