chickpea flatbread with onions and rosemary

Sunday, January 06, 2013


I hearby introduce you to one of the easiest and yummiest flatbreads known to humankind. This recipe is from the book Food Matters, by Mark Bittman and I made some this morning for a little brunch I had with my sisters. I took the photo for my January 6th 365 project.

When I posted the photo, a couple of people wanted the recipe, so I hope Mr. Bittman doesn't mind that I relay it here (maybe it will help if I tell you all to buy the book because there are some yummy recipes in it!). You're going to laugh at how simple it is.

Chickpea Flatbread with Onion and Rosemary
(Or Easy Whole Grain Flatbread which is what it's called in the book)

  • 1 cup of chickpea flour (also called garbanzo flour or besan)*
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons or so of coconut oil
  • 1/2 a large onion, thinly sliced (Mr. Bittman says this is optional, but I highly suggest you use it)
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves (also optional, but why would you leave it out?)

1. Put the flour in a bowl, add salt and slowly add 1.5 cups of water, whisking to eliminate lumps. Cover with a towel and let is sit while your oven heats, or for as long as 12 hours. The batter should be the consistency of thin pancake batter.

2. If you're making this right away, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the oil, onions and rosemary to a cast iron (or oven proof) pan and put it in the oven to heat up until you start to smell the rosemary and onions. About 5-7 mins or so. Just keep an eye on it. Remove the pan (make sure you're wearing your oven mitt!) and set it on top of the stove until the oven is ready.

3. Once the oven is ready, add the batter to the pan and swish around the onions and rosemary for equal distribution in the batter. Then return the pan to the oven.

4. Bake for 30-40 mins depending on the size of your pan and the heat of your oven. Mine was done in about 35 mins (my pan is about 10 inches). The bread should be slightly browned, firm and crisp around the edges and will release easily from the pan when it's done. Let it rest for a few minutes and then cut it into wedges to devour.

You honestly don't need a dip or other accompaniment for this - it's delicious on its own - but I'm sure it would be yummy topped with roasted tomatoes or peppers. Oh how I wish I had some left!

The recipe also gives an option for using this as a pizza crust which I want to try soon, as well as one for a custardy type dish. Get the book to try them all out!

*You don't need to use chickpea flour for this recipe (you can also use whole wheat, cornmeal or buckwheat), but I think it truly adds to the flavour of the flatbread and it is an excellent source of protein since chickpeas are legumes and not a grain. Win-win in my book!

Try it and out and let me know if you liked it!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM

    This flat bread is also called socca (should you be looking for other versions!). I've made one before topped with roasted cherry tomatoes, arugula and pecorino. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! I was thinking that cherry tomatoes would be sooo yummy in this too. I will have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground