Interview with Adriane Duckworth artist and owner of THE WILD

Thursday, April 02, 2015


My next interview is with Adriane Duckworth, artist and owner of THE WILD, Modern Apparel for Hip Kids. I first began following Adriane years ago not only because of her beautiful artwork but because she's from Hamilton (my husband's hometown yay!). When she wrote about starting THE WILD I knew I wanted to interview her because I loved her new business concept. Read more about Adriane below.




Tell me about Adriane Duckworth. What do you love to do, hate to do, wish you could do?

Oh my goodness, where to begin! Well, I'm a mom, a wife, an artist, and a chocolate addict. I love to spend time with my family, to draw, to paint, to read, anything creative really. I hate it when I am really in the zone working on something and then I realize that it's 1 a.m., considering I have to little boys who never let me sleep past 6 a.m. I wish I could travel, but I hope that will happen in time more.

How did you become an artist? Was it something you always wanted to do?

I've always wanted to be an artist, since I was a kid. My parents raised me to be creative and to try different things. I have been drawing, painting and designing my entire life really.

When I read that you had started your new company, THE WILD, I was super excited for you. Tell me about the process you had to go through and how you came up with the idea (and the name) for your company.

It all began after my son Benjamin was born a few years ago. I started creating these little characters for fun, and they translated really well to artwork for kids rooms. I knew I wanted to do more with this little pile of characters, but I needed time to plan it all out. After my second son, Sawyer, was born, I went through a small business program to help me get started. It was the best thing I could have done to motivate me and to create a really comprehensive business plan. The name comes from where I envision all of these characters living, out in the wild, and it also represents the big picture of what I want to do with this story.



You mainly use black and white in your work. What is the attraction to these colours?

I love simplicity. I'm a total minimalist, which is tough with small kids, but I try very hard to keep things simple. When I walk into kids shops in the mall, it's like a colour explosion. I wanted to offer something different.

What is your favourite form of art?

I love to draw, but I think painting is my absolute fav.

What are you passionate about outside of your work?

My biggest passion is definitely my family of course. I also love to read, I love interior design, and I'm a bit of a Pinterest addict.




Summer or winter?

Where I live we get to enjoy all four beautiful seasons, but if I had to pick, I'd go with winter.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

It's tempting to say Paris, and one day I'll get there, but even more I think I would like to explore Canada. This is such a beautiful country, I want to see it all.

Thanks so much Adriane! If you want to learn more about THE WILD visit the website here or shop right away here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground